Our Humble Beginning
Christ Church is the second oldest congregation and occupies the oldest church building
in the city of Huron. People first began holding services in 1832. In 1837, Articles of
Association were drawn up for the parish. Two years later construction began on the
present Church Building.
Renovation Throughout the Ages
To meet the ongoing needs of the community Christ Church has seen many innovative and creative updates to the Sanctuary and Education wing. A significant redesign of the building was completed in the 1960s. The construction of a modern Educational wing and Office suites allowed the reorientation of the interior of the Sanctuary. The updating and refurbishment has continued with the installation of air conditioning in the Sanctuary and the addition of a people moving lift from the first floor to the Undercroft in recent times. The historic organ and bell have also been refurbished and are used every Sunday to worship and celebrate this unique community.
More than twenty Rectors have served this parish since the beginning in 1832. One of the longest-serving was The Rev. Samuel Marks, who came to this Parish in 1839 and served 42 years. Another long term Rector was The Rev. Eugene (Gene) Smercina. Pastor Gene served Christ Church for 38 years. He returned to Christ Church as the beloved Pastor Emeritus until his recent passing to glory. Our current Rector is
The Rev. Mike Floyd, who began his ministry on All Saints Day, November 1st, 2015.
Looking to the Future
The focus of the life of Christ Church is to engage our current parishioners in the life and activities of Huron.
To provide a means for people to connect with Jesus and to make Him known. This is an ongoing project with opportunities for new ministry and new life. As we look to the future the real desire of our community is that
we can maintain and strengthen our parish's spiritual life and activity so that Christ Church will be here for
many generations to come.